Amazon

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Seagate Expansion 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STBX1000101)




1 TB drive
Keep in mind that I am a dinosaur as far as computers go.   I have clear memories of the Ti-99/a, the trs-80 and my favorites the Atari and C64.   I sold CPM computers before DOS even existed.    When I got my first 10mb hard drive, I wondered how I would ever fill it up.  The drive I got and tested today is barely larger than one of my 230mb Bernoulli cartridges or a couple of 3.5” floppies and yet, it is 1TB!  I am sure that the younger folks reading this are going, so?   Well when you remember that I started with 8” floppies holding a whopping 80Kb then you must stand in awe of a 1TB drive that is 3.25”x4.75”x.5” in size and is USB powered.  

I pulled this out of the box, plugged in the USB cable and plugged it into my Vista laptop.   It was immediately recognized, I set up a subdirectory and copied some files.   I then moved it to my Win7 desktop and did the same and finally  moved it to an XP box and it was seen quickly and with no hassles on all three OS.   This is on slick little drive and with this size it is easy to just carry along and always have a safe backup.   I know the Cloud is there for back up too but there really are some places where you don’t have Internet access and still want to back up your data.    This drive will give you an extremely convenient backup and I have never had a drive interface as quickly and easily.  The drive is $89.99 at Amazon and they provided it for my review.  

If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

No comments:

 Money Saving Tech Tips