Skip to main content

Protect Yourself With FREE Surveillance Software




In celebration of my geekiness I downloaded ispy camera software prior to a recent hotel stay.  A person very close to me (name withheld due to my desire to continue life as I know it.) suggested I was paranoid.   Well...

Imagine our surprise the first time I left my laptop running with the software active, we saw disturbing photos of someone in our room.   The person seemed to be looking at our stuff, peered into the camera and then left without taking anything. This was not a room cleaning person.  I sent one video set to my phone and took the video to the hotel management for their reaction.  I asked if this person was employed by the hotel and if he was supposed to be in our room.  The manager said the intruder was a maintenance man and he would check into it.   After waiting several days I approached another manager who got back to me within 15 minutes and explained there had been a maintenance issue  in our hall and the intruder was checking all the rooms.  Frankly the excuse reeked of cover-up as the intruder was definitely looking over our stuff.  

Interestingly enough after I asked if they wanted different angles from my other cameras and I confirmed multiple cameras accompany me everywhere, we only saw cleaning people after that.  BTW it is disturbing to see the cleaning person put clean pillow cases on your pillows and then throw the pillows on the dirty floor while she made the bed.

The laborious point I am trying to make is that you can increase your personal safety and decrease the likelihood of being a victim with free software.   ispy is free unless you want the video sent remotely or have the ability to view your camera through the WEB.  Having the software running and storing the video on your personal computer is free.  The camera is motion activated and operates in the background.  You can have a screen saver running as camouflage.  It is easy to install and certainly is eye opening.

WardenCam is another free software package that allows you to use an old cell phone as a camera and the Internet to view said camera on your cell phone.  The only problem with that is you need a decent wifi signal to connect to the Internet.  The hotel's wifi was pitifully slow so WardenCam did not work but I have tested it with a good wifi and it works really slick too.  Again,FREE!

Paraphrasing Frank Burns of Mash, "you aren't paranoid if everyone is after you".  Check out these free aps and protect yourself when you travel.


 If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...