Skip to main content

VIZIO S5430W-C2 54-Inch 3.0 Soundbar


VIZIO S5430W-C2 54-Inch 3.0 Soundbar
Price:   $299.99.


This is the third sound bar that I have tested.  While the $1000.00 Yamaha sound bar is better than this one for spoofing the sound direction, it is not substantially better in the face on front sounds.   BTW when they say 54" they mean 54" which with a 40" TV looks a bit silly.  Regardless of looks, the sound is great.  The setup was fairly straight forward and I had excellent sound in less than 5 minutes.

Then it got more interesting.  The programming of the unit was pretty easy.   Getting it to run on my Comcast remote was not as easy as I hoped.   It took a few minutes to figure out the somewhat murky instructions.   I know have the volume and mute working with the Comcast remote.  I struggled to no avail to get the unit's on/off to synch with the Comcast remote.   That is not a terrible hardship as it has an econo mode which simply turns the sound bar after a period of no input.   So you really only need the Vizio remote once a day to turn the unit it on.  Or heaven forbid you could pry yourself out of your Barko Lounger and physically turn the sound bar on.

The bluetooth synching worked very simply.   It was so smooth that I didn't realize I was connected.   The music from my tablet sounded great.    When I wanted to switch back to TV I overlooked the input button and had a momentary panic as I couldn't figure out how to get back to the TV.  Then I looked a 1/4" to the left and saw the input button, had an ahha moment and was back in the groove.   So bluetooth works simply and well.

 I played with the center console section that is supposed to enhance dialogue.   Frankly I didn't see any difference before and after.   

I'm not a sound engineer so no technical stuff here.   The unit gives me high quality sound and simple setup.   I do wonder how well it will sell at the $299.00 price tag when 50" screens are dropping so much in price, the perceived value might not work when compared to the TV price. 

►103dB of room-rocking, crystal clear sound with less than 1% total harmonic distortion
►Deep Bass Modules add serious low end frequency without the need for an external subwoofer
►Connect to your TV with an easy, one-cable setup - HDMI-in, HDMI-out (ARC), analog and digital input options (all cables included in the box).
►Wirelessly stream your music from a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. Sound ►Pressure Level measured using pink noise at 1 meter, C-weighted. Total harmonic distortion calculated as electrical measurement of amplifier distortion.
►Source Bluetooth playback device must be enabled with aptX technology.
If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...