Skip to main content

Don’t Take Granite For Granted


If you are shopping for a new home in 2012, granite is a big buzz word.   The realtor ads may not mention that the home has an outhouse but they will mention if it has granite counter tops.    Granite is claimed to be the swing vote when comparing new homes.  Yea if it has it and nay if it doesn’t.   

A family member who is a realtor states stoutly (she’s not) that granite will help you get your asking price or help your house sell more quickly.  That is subjective and I can not quantify it but there does seem to be a lot of substantiating collaboration. 

After a little research it is easy to say that there are no easy answers in granite.   One company advertises that their granite is 95% granite and 5% polymer.   They state that it is stronger than slab granite and they can put it right over your old countertops.   Since it is obviously made of left over granite chunks ground up and glued together (think particle board) it should be cheaper than slab granite.  Wrong!

Try $1600.00 more than slab granite for the same number of square feet and the same features. 

The big box home improvement stores do granite.   The sales man at one, said, “I’m not on commission, so I don’t care what you buy but I wouldn’t buy what we have on sale.”   

The price differential between the same number of square feet and the same features using the same type of material can be significant. 

The same admonishment I mentioned on replacement windows holds true here as well.   If possible use a small business, check their work and compare prices.  You may be shocked to discover that there are many small firms wherever you are, doing quality work at better prices than the national chains.  

Don’t take granite for granted, shop locally and save some money and aggravation.  


If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...