Skip to main content

Digital Photo Viewer



A technophobic friend of mine was expressing frustration over his inability to find a slide projector. From the old school, he is going to do some sales training and has 95 slides he wants to use. Trouble is, nobody has a slide projector and his son told him the young guys would laugh at him for using it, even if he could find one. He does not have a computer, let alone a laptop so PowerPoint is out of the question. He is very good at what he does and sees no reason to change the way he does it. I suggested that he could meet somewhere in the middle of the techno-divide and do what he wanted without a big expense. Used slide projectors abound on eBay but they are bulky and truly dated.

My suggestion was the SanDisk SDV-1A Digital Photo Viewer. SanDisk has a newer model but since I own the old one, I am familiar with it and from what I can glean on the web, the older model appears to do a better job. The viewer is about the size of a paperback book. It plugs into the s-video port on a TV and allows you to view digital photos. Simple to use and very versatile it is also inexpensive at $39.99 with free shipping at Amazon. All he needs to do is get his slides converted, burnt to a disc for backup and put on a flash memory card for use. A local photo shop will convert the slides for $80.00 which is more expensive than the web but remember he is a technophobe. A 1gb SD card for $14.00 and he is ready to go. This is a simple but elegant solution for a guy who wants nothing to do with technology.

Technical Details
View and share digital photos with family and friends on the TV Compatible with all popular digital camera media formats, including CompactFlash Type I and II, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, SD, and MultiMediaCard View multiple pictures in preview mode, delete, rotate and zoom with remote control.Supports JPEG files (the most common form of file format used by digital still cameras) at resolutions up to 6 megapixels
Batteries: 2 AAA batteries required.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...