Skip to main content

Suncast Hose Hideaway Review


I recently purchased a Suncast Hose Hideaway that claimed to hold a 100 foot hose.   I can only assume that 100’ hose was a really, really skinny hose.   I could not get my 100’ 5/8” hose into the box.   The box would be suitable for a 75’ or 50’ hose but 100’ of quality hose does not fit.  


Oddly enough my son purchased the same hose box from another store and had the same difficulty.   Extrapolating, I suspect it is the box and not us.   I have had good experience with Suncast products in the past.   I have no complaints about the build quality.  Although I am concerned about the all plastic fitting where you connect your hose, I haven’t used it long enough to determine if that will be an issue.   

I also want to point out that in their instructions (which is nice since so many vendors have done away with instructions) they put in bold print, “and keep hands free from the range of the rotating crank handle”.   This is a good admonishment as I know have scraped the skin off of the back of multiple fingers on several occasions.   If you are right handed, the natural inclination is to hold the box down on the right side when pulling out the hose.   There is a handy dandy foot hold for your right foot that is supposed to keep the box still with your weight on it.   My weight is considerable it was not enough to keep the box from moving as I pulled out the hose, thus the scraped knuckles and more disgruntlement with the purchase.   It seems like a slightly longer shaft on the crank handle would have allowed enough room for fingers but I didn’t design the darn thing.  

At this point I don’t know what to do with the box, perhaps put all my electric cords on it.   I don’t have a hose short enough to use it.   If your hose is 100’, I do not recommend this hose box.   If your hose is 75’ or shorter, the build quality is satisfactory as is the price.   Just keep your knuckles out of the way.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...