If you are like me, you are totally appalled at your monthly cable bill. Owning your own cable modem can reduce your monthly expenditure. I got this modem at no charge for the purposes of review which even makes it better. Amazon has it at $72.53 at the time I am writing this review. I replaced the Motorola cable modem that I was using with this NETGEAR. If recollection serves me, Comcast wanted $8.00 a month for cable modem rental. Estimating that I have used the Motorola cable modem for at least six years, I have saved approximately $500.00 by purchasing a cable modem rather than renting one from Comcast.
The installation of the modem was simplicity personified. It could not have been easier. It took more time to untangle the power cord of the Motorola from the cable snarl that characterizes my computer setup.
NETGEAR cautions that it takes at least 15 minutes for the modem to show an Internet connection. It actually took about 5 minutes. Then I called Comcast and it took them approximately 30 minutes to register the MAC address and serial number of the modem with their system.
At this point everything is working fine. I will test a gigabit Ethernet switch with the modem but that is pretty much a no-brainer. I will only update this if there is a problem with the gigabit speed.
The modem seems modestly faster than my previous modem but I feel more comfortable having a current technology modem and will save the Motorola for backup in case of any failures.
This modem works fine and is priced competitively.
The NETGEAR High Speed Cable Modem provides a connection to high-speed cable Internet. It provides up to 150 Mbps download and upload speed for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high-speed online gaming.
The NETGEAR Difference – CDM31T
- For high-speed cable Internet access
- Works with major cable ISPs1
- No monthly equipment charges
- Gigabit Ethernet port
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Lab certified
- Secure connection
- Easy installation
1. Compatible with major Cable Internet Service Providerslike Time Warner, Comcast, Charter, Cable Vision, and others
Fast Cable Internet Access
- Up to 150 Mbps download and upload speed for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high speed online gaming
- Saves money over time—no monthly equipment charges required from your ISP
- Gigabit Ethernet port—fastest wired speeds to connect your router or computer
- Channel bonding of up to 160 Mbps downstream, up to 120 Mbps upstream
- Supports the latest Internet communication protocol (IPv4 and IPv6) to expand network addressing capabilities
High-performance – Up to 150 Mbps download and upload speed for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high-speed online gaming
Compatible – Compatible with major cable Internet service providers like Time Warner, Comcast, Charter, Cablevision, and others1
Cost-effective – Saves money over time. No monthly equipment charges required from your ISP
Gigabit Ethernet port – Fastest wired speeds to connect your router or computer
Simple – CD-less installation
Total Home Networking Solution