Skip to main content

Direct Replacement Of Incandescent Light Bulbs Is Not Easy


Feit Electric ESL40TN/D 42-Watt Compact Fluorescent High-Wattage Bulb, Daylight


This bulb was very disappointing. It is most definitely not a suitable replacement for a 200 Watt incandescent. I have an area in the basement that has a single fixture and a 200 watt incandescent provides more than adequate light for that area. I put this bulb in and it would be suitable for accent lighting but hardly adequate for normal tasks. It was like twilight in the early evening. I have no objection to a bluish light but this provided far less light than a 100 watt incandescent let alone the 200 watt. My hopes of using less energy were thwarted.

Watts, or the wattage of light, is the power that is used to operate the light source. Lumens refer to the brightness of that source. Specifically Lumens are the measurement units of "luminous flux." This is the total number of packets of light that is created by a source of light.

I erroneously looked at the advertisement for this bulb which stated it was a 200 watt equivalent light using only 42 watts. Haa! I thought, I can get the same light for less money. Wrong!

My mistake was not checking the lumens on the 200 watt incandescent which is rated at 3190 lumens compared to the light output of 2800 on this bulb. If you are hoping to do a direct replacement of a 200 watt incandescent with the same lumens this is not the bulb to buy.

You must look at the lumens that the compact fluorescent is rated for and compare that to the bulb you are replacing. I guess a $11.57 lesson (cost of the bulb) is that you must know what you are comparing before you buy, compare lumens not watts.

Take note, there is nothing wrong with this bulb, it just isn't really a direct replacement lighting wise for a 200 watt incandescent that is outputting 3190 lumens.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...