Skip to main content

File Sharing Won’t Work? Remove Norton Security Suite

I’ve detailed my frustration with Windows 7 and then with my new Acer Aspire hard drive crash ad nauseum. I’m still fighting to get back to where I was prior to “upgrading” to new computers and a new problem fraught OS. Let’s just say if I wasn’t bald before I would be now.

Latest issues after I got my Aspire back from Acer with it’s new hard drive and a newly installed Windows 7. My wonderful IO Gear GUB211 auto switch, that allowed me to share my printer with my XP and Vista machines and my miserably unfriendly Windows 7 machine, has stopped working. I am in the midst of troubleshooting that with IO gear via email. Not the best support but better than no support.

Secondly when I got my machine back I reinstalled Norton Security Suite, free from Comcast. I had it on one of my XP machines as well. Lo and behold my file sharing no longer works between my machines. My XP m

achines running Avast free talk to each other but won’t talk to either machine running Norton. My Vista machine which doesn’t really enjoy talkin

g to anyone would still see the XP machines without Norton but will not see the XP machine running Nor

ton.

I removed the Comcast Free Norton Security Suite from the Windows 7 machine and the XP machine and now all file sharing is back to normal.

I still can’t print from my Windows 7 machine but that will be another post. Someone please remind me why I ever liked computers.

Comments

Payday loans said…
Wow,nice, one of the best read posts so far.

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...