Skip to main content

Cord Cutting With Comcast Xfinity Don’t Expect Any Help From ROKU


If only income would increase with the same alacrity as the Comcast rate increases.   Every year you pay more and more for Television and Internet.   It seems impossible to cut your bills without losing some service.   I have tried a variety of high definition antennas to no avail.   I was able to use an antenna for one TV at my last house but I am now in a DEAD area for over the air digital reception.   What to do, what to do?
There is a way to cut your Comcast bill and that is to get rid of some of your Comcast hardware.   Those little boxes that you pay a monthly fee for the use privilege.   Ditch 3 or 4 of those and you can get an immediate drop in your cable bill.   You still need something to replace the boxes you pulled out.   ROKU can replace those boxes. Comcast Xfinity has a free (for now anyway) application that your can download to the ROKU menu that allows the ROKU to work as a Comcast box.   It is a bit cumbersome.   For some reason that I have not found yet, turning off the TV frequently puts the ROKU box back to either a screen saver or the main menu.   If this occurs you simply need to go to the Xfinity icon in the ROKU menu and load the application.    ROKU offers NO SUPPORT for the Express or the older model 3 so I have not been able to find a solution for this.   Note that is NO SUPPORT not just on the Xfinity application but just flat out NO SUPPORT. 

Bottom line the ROKU works with the Xfinity application.   That allows the return of some Comcast boxes to lower your bill.   It is not an elegant solution as the Xfinity interface is cludgy and ROKU seems to have time out issues.   If you're handy with gadgets this will be a good solution for you. 

I was going to put an Amazon link here so if you do buy your ROKU there I would get a minuscule commission.  However due to the TOTAL LACK OF SUPPORT besides website FAQ’s by ROKU, I can’t in good conscience earn a commission however small on a product that has lousy support.  So again if you have some minor technical expertise, this is not hard to setup to make work.   If you aren’t that comfortable, technically, don’t cut the cord.   

If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...