Skip to main content

Scary Computer Stuff--Try a Password Manager



Scary stuff on Halloween seems appropriate.  I recently got an extortion email.  Some miscreant had gotten one of my old passwords most likely through one of the highly publicized data breaches that have occurred over the last year.  Said idiot threaten to pillage my finances, crash my computer, sully my reputation by spoofing my presence on porn sites and trashing my social media.   To prevent this catastrophe all I needed to do was send money through bit coins to the address in the email.  They even instructed on how to get bit coins and threatened even dire consequences if I called the cops.   They said they were overseas so local cops couldn’t touch them.  (Although they could be sitting at the local Starbucks.)

I googled extortion emails and the third hit was nearly word for word the email I received.  My first thought was who buys into this crap.  Then I pondered the sheer volume of emails that go out daily trying to extort money and realized that even a tiny success rate could provide a reasonable income to these criminals.  

In a way I need to thank that criminal because I hadn’t done a password inventory for a couple of years.  Done as you add passwords is simple but wait a couple of years and you have hundreds of passwords to evaluate.  It took four plus hours to go over every password and change any that had been unchanged for too long.   There are password managers out there that can help.   Google password managers. This is on list of password managers that are highly rated.

Bottom line here is don’t reuse passwords and don’t succumb to the email threats that you will undoubtedly receive at some point.  I suggest a password manager and a good list to start is in the link above.  There are a wealth of unsavory characters out there who want to steal your money, your good name and just wreak havoc for havoc’s sake.  Don’t make it easy for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...