FTC Disclosure

Life is complicated enough without getting into hotwater with federal agencies so: TAKE NOTE Many things I review I got at no charge in exchange for an honest review. Consider this as informing you that ALL things I review may have been gotten at no charge. Realistically about 60% but in order to keep things above board just assume that I got the stuff free. Words like, “sponsored,” “promotion,” “paid ad” or even just “ad” are clear ways to disclose that you’re being paid to share information and links so BE AWARE that some of what I write can be described as an AD by the government. BTW I will NEVER say a product is great, super or even acceptable if it isn't whether I got it free or NOT!

Welcome

WELCOME

WELCOME
Please check out my other blogs
Pick of the Literate 
or Azure Dwarf’s Horde
or visit my web site

Monday, August 2, 2010

Disappointing Results with EASEUS Todo Backup

I downloaded EASEUS Todo Backup to my Windows 7 desktop. It was free and Free always attracts my attention. It set up easily and looked good. Documentation said it supported Windows 7. I got it to clone my hard drive to a 300gb Seagate External USB drive. It appeared to be fine.

I decided in the event the desktop hard drive failed, I wanted to be able to just pop the external drive in for the replacement. In order to do that, I had to find a drive with the same interface that the desktop supports.

Once I got my new drive I tried to clone the desktop drive to it. After multiple failures of the software to complete the cloning process I gave up. I had a lot of trouble getting the first clone done and this set of attempts just turned me off of the software.

I am not a tech. I am a reasonably knowledgeable user. If I have to tweak software to get it to work, hold it’s hand and whisper in it’s ear to get the job done, I DON’T WANT IT. I want something I can recommend that works easily from the get go.

If on this blog I say, Whoa! This product kicks butt, I have to believe it kicks butt. Plus if I recommend it, even though I am no longer in the business, I better be able to stand behind what I said. I have had days where two of the 3 guys I play golf with have brought written notes so they can ask me computer questions at lunch after golf. I don’t want to write a recommendation on anything that I have to end up providing support just so I don’t look like an even bigger idiot. Idiocy is assumed when ever you post an opinion on line for the world to criticize. I read some of the vitriolic forum comments criticizing unsuspecting folks who have posted personal experiences of products. I’m not hypersensitive but who wants to be flayed for a personal opinion.

So for those of you who have had wonderful experiences with EASEUS, good for you!
I didn’t.

BTW if you like Acronis, I do too!  Trouble is it STILL isn't working with Windows 7 as of my writing this.

No comments:

 Money Saving Tech Tips