Skip to main content

CyberWar


Sounds like the title of a science fiction story. Sadly there is far more truth than fiction. Recently I did a presentation in a 4th grade class for science week. My presentation was on computers. I provided a historical perspective with Eniac as a baseline. I didn’t feel the need to go back to Michael Angelo or the abacus development. One of the things I pointed out to the students is that their game boxes are disguised computers. Nintendo’s DS looks innocuous, just a game. However you can get to the Internet wirelessly through the DS. My point is that we have reached the ubiquitous stage of computers. Our phones, our PDA’s, our GPS, our clocks, our TVs, our toys all have the ability or potential to be online.

In essence, the way we live our lives is vulnerable to cyber attack. Some of the most tech resistant people I know still use email. There are scores of folks out there who dislike anyone in a developed nation. There are also the amoral sociopaths who enjoy showering pain and inconvenience at every opportunity.

This set of circumstances provides the motivation for governmental bodies to develop defenses for their citizens. These defenses are above and beyond the commercially available software and hardware protections used to defend against script kiddies and cyber vandals. The government protections are to protect the Internet and governmental infrastructure from targeted attacks. Those attacks are often initiated by other governments. In addition governments are funding the development of offensive cyber weapons for rehabilitation. Wow, we thought the cold war was over. Today, a dedicated, brilliant hacker in an impoverished nation too poor to afford conventional weapons let alone nuclear deterrents could fracture the Internet. The New York Times article on what the U. S. government is doing provides interesting reading.

What may make a better deterrent would be the increased cyber interplay between individuals of all nations, cultures, creeds and sexes. It is easy to accuse, accost and assault people you fear and don’t know. It is much more difficult to attack other countries if you feel like you know the people in it. Blogging, email, social sites all contribute to a greater understanding of the growing world community. The better we know our neighbors and they know us, the more difficult it will be to provide the hateful motivation to initiate attacks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...