Skip to main content

Cloud Computing, Not Really a Myth


Cloud computing is synonymous with confusion. Due to the lemming nature of the computer industry, if something sounds good, attach that label to your product and hope it improves sales. Too many people are claiming a relationship to cloud computing and it is just adding to the confusion.

Simplistically cloud computing is a method that end users may get services over the Internet. Those services can range from use of software without buying it, storage of data remotely or the use of outsourced customer service.

Since outsourcing has become the magic buzz word for saving corporate dollars there is speculation that cloud computing will take over the industry. If each and every business had the same exact needs that might be possible. Since practically every business may approach the same scenario in a different manner, it is unlikely that cloud computing will be the single unique panacea for the masses.

The number of differing vendors of cloud computing offer the potential for rampant incompatibility. Exercise caution on choosing what services you want to do and whom do you want to do it with. I personally still have reservations on the security of many online services. Do I want to trust some random geek to truly care about the safety of my data.

Cloud computing may be the wave of the future. Small businesses with no IT pros on staff often let little things like secure backups remain forever in limbo. Off site data storage, if easily implemented, could be a boon for disaster recovery. Just because a term is over used doesn’t mean there isn’t a kernel of truth hidden somewhere in the hype. Investigate cloud computing, it may have some saving graces for your business.

A good article on cloud computing is on ZDnet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...