Skip to main content

Is Regal Cinema Government Owned?




I’m a bit cheesed out over taking my grandkids to see Madagascar 3 in 3D.   I know that you pay a surcharge for 3D but I still feel that Regal Cinema’s charge of $28.00 for a senior citizen and 2 under 10 kids is crazy exorbitant.  

What is even worse is that I had a free ticket but that only took off $6.00 from the original price of $34.50 for three and got us way down to $28.00.   Now giving credit where credit is due, the young lady at the snack bar did advise me to get the $8.00 bucket of popcorn which held more than two medium bags of popcorn and was cheaper than two medium bags of popcorn.   The bucket also had a free refill which we did not utilize.  

Admittedly none of my graduate degrees are an MBA but…there were 9 of us in the theater the morning we saw the movie.   So at approximately $9.00 per person that was $81.00 (approximately) of ticket income.   I will hazard a wild guess of 300 seats in the theater.   If they sold 100 seats at $1.00 they would have netted $19.00 more than selling 9 seats at $9.00 each.   So if we triple that at $3.00 per person and assume the lower ticket price would encourage more attendance, we get a $219.00 increase in profit on that showing.   Take the 8 or 10 theaters that are in the building or 15 for all I know and you can see that logic infers that a lower ticket price would fill more seats and generate more profit.

Perhaps charge $6.00 per person at peak times to push more patrons to off hours at a lower price and you generate still more profit.   So are Regal Theaters specifically and movie theaters generally owned by the government and designed to lack profitability.   Or is it just easier to clean up after 9 people than 100 and the heck with the increased profit.

I wish I knew but I know I would take my grandkids for more movies if it was $12 or $15 than $34.50. 
 
If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...