Skip to main content

ALC AWF71D Sighthd Video Doorbell with 1080P Full HD Wi-Fi Camera



This video doorbell has all the features I was looking for in a doorbell camera.  I had an existing doorbell so wiring was not an issue.   However, note that unless your doorbell wire is a lot longer than mine you will need to add/splice some wire onto it to reach the connections on the camera.  Also use the smallest wire nuts you have as I first used wire whose gauge was a little too big and wire nuts that were too big to fit under the doorbell.  After replacing the wire and wire nuts I still struggled to get the door bell to latch onto the wall bracket.  My suggestion to ALC is to improve the hanging bracket or method of hanging the camera.  Also I would suggest making the screws for the wire connection a little further apart an a little bigger.  They work but for folks with bad eyes and big fingers they can be challenging.

I thought the hard part was done after the physical installation.  I downloaded the software from Playstore and booted it up.  The camera would not connect to my network.  As I have multiple routers, I tried them all to no success.  Finally I called ALC for tech support.  After 39 minutes on hold I got a very pleasant young man who could not help me.   This is a new product which he hadn’t seen.  We tried some generic things and finally gave up. He said he would escalate it to a higher level. That was at 4:30 PM yesterday.  It is now 3:06PM the next day and I have not heard back yet.
Not being particularly patient, I pondered the issue and removed the doorbell camera and hit the reset button.  That did not change a thing.   I then deleted the application from my phone and reinstalled it.  Viola! Everything works.  The picture is crystal clear.  

I don’t know what the problem was but I am happy to have it solved.   Tenacity is grossly under estimated.  Sometimes you just have to beat a problem senseless to solve it.   Overall impression on the camera is positive.   Installation impression isn’t quite as positive. 
From the vendor:
·        Immediately calls your cell phone when doorbell button is pushed
·        Answer your door like you are home from anywhere
·        Powered by your existing doorbell wiring
·        Built-in memory for recording with no monthly fees
·        Human motion detection

If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...