Skip to main content

StarTech USB to Bluetooth 2.1 Adapter


Never Did Get It To Work
This was disappointing.  I followed the instructions faithfully and could not get this to be seen by a Windows 10 desktop.   I have attached photos of the screens I got.  Number 3 on the installation instructions said to enter the folder “Bluetooth Dongle”, there was no such folder.  I went to the “Setup.exe”  and 20 minutes later it finally stopped installing.  I rebooted as requested and then plugged in the adapter(step 5). Windows was supposed to automatically detect and then install drivers.  It did neither.  I went to my Bluetooth icon and told it to turn on. It said “turning on”, I went to lunch and came back and it still said turning on.  Another annoying thing that is not specific to this product is the tiny cd’s that have the installation software on them.  My computer system has a CD/DVD drive that is vertically mounted which meant I had to lay it on its side after multiple aborted attempts to keep the tiny little CD from falling out.  Twice it fell out in the machine and that was a joy getting it back out.   For me this product did not work. 

From the vendor:
Add Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR capabilities to your computer through USB
Mini USB Bluetooth 2.1 Adapter
Class 1 EDR Wireless Network Adapter
Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR compliant
Mini USB Bluetooth wireless adapter with support for Enhanced Data Rate (data transfer rates up to 3 Mbps)


If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...