Skip to main content

Corel Paint Shop Pro X5



This seems like a very capable program.   Installation was a bit tedious.   They have a 27 digit serial number on FaceFilter Studio 2 which came with the package.   It didn’t seem to matter what I put in, the installer didn’t like it.   It kept telling me there were no Is or Os in the serial number.   I never inputted any I, I did put in Os which I then changed to 0 but to no avail so I have no idea whether FaceFilter and the other programs on the second CD are any good.  Somehow it doesn’t seem that hard to either use a shorter serial number or avoid zeros and ones due to their similarity to I and O.   Of course they could always have a slash through the zero to clearly identify it as a zero.   Doesn’t seem like rocket science.   One has to wonder too about a 27 digit serial number, really!   It may be great software but I won’t know.

The program itself seems relatively intuitive.   I have been using programs similar to this for over 30 years so if I can’t start to, at least, delve into it without using a tutorial I’m disappointed.   It forces you to register before you can even look at it.  That strikes me that someone at Corel is still living in the Word Perfect days of yesteryear.   That and a huge service pack auto downloaded as soon as I closed the package.   I have to wonder what that fixed.  

On the surface the software looks capable.   I find some of their antics a bit out dated but Corel has always danced to a different drummer.   I will check back later when I find out if it holds up to the claims on the box.  
 


If reviewing a product, it may have been received free of charge. That will NEVER have a bearing on my recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...