Skip to main content

Space Is Not Infinite

Space is definitely not infinite in my computer. If nature abhors a vacuum, it also seems to abhor empty hard drives. Seems like hard drives fill up just like empty closets acquire hangers. There are many, many solutions to this problem. An obvious solution is to delete some of the crap on your hard drive. As elegant as that sounds, you would be amazed at how many folks brought their non-functioning computers in for service after they were just deleting some unnecessary files. Just a tip, if you aren’t familiar with the name of the file doesn’t mean your computer doesn’t need it.

Linksys has a pretty cool tool that can help the space crisis. It is the NAS200 network attached storage drive. It is an enclosure which will hold two SATA hard drives with two USB 2.0 ports for adding two more drive. It connects via Ethernet so you can hang it off your router and have it accessible to any of the computers on your net. Those of you without a network, it will be accessible through your computer’s Ethernet card or through the Ethernet port on your wide band router. It also includes backup software and can be used to store all those videos you have downloaded. I did a quick search on the web and found if for as low as $89.00. It is reputed to interface easily but I haven’t tried it myself. If you need accessible storage you may want to check this out. This was not a paid blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...