Skip to main content

Ransomeware, A Vile Virus


  
Ransomware viruses are still proliferataing.   A very official pop-up that suggests that you have been (pick more than one):
1.downloading child porn
2.pirating software
3.violating copyright laws
4.indulging in inappropriate Internet activity
5.selling child porn
6.soliciting child porn
7. having inappropriate relations with animals
And ad nauseum
The more popular crapware says it is from the Department of Home Land Security or the Department of Defense or Immigration Authorities and if you don’t submit your “fine” of $300 (varies) within 48 hours, you will be arrested.  

I assured a panic stricken teen that this was a scam.  It still took two days to get the insidious virus that locked his system off of his computer.   I spoke to a Latino who was threatened with deportation if the “fine” was paid immediately.  

With the revelations of what the NSA has been doing, these fraudulent schemes become more believable.  Even if you Google a solution you have to be careful as some of the solutions assure you they can clean off your computer for only $25.00 down and $10.00 a month to keep it clean.  Probably is the company that wrote the virus in the first place.

My advice is to practice safe computing to avoid the situation in the first place.  Avoid places that harbor these miscreants.  Music and movie download sites are a hotbed of computer diseases.   Porn sites are rampantly infected.   Protect your self with a robust anti-virus package from a major company.  Many such as AVG and AVAST are free.  

Here is the link for the Microsoft page that will help you get your computer back when ransomware has hijacked it. Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Good luck and safe computing!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...