Skip to main content

Why Fly The Unfriendly Skies When You Can Take A Very Friendly Train?

The recent Jet Blue flight attendant that went bananas seems to clearly illustrate why airlines are in financial difficulty. Their service stinks! In fact they provide no service. Their attitude is dismissive. Airlines nickel and dime you to distraction. I used to fly more often just for fun. I now avoid airlines as much as I can. I’m retired, I had anticipated flying more not less but why, oh why would I subject myself to being abused?

I’ve started taking the AutoTrain to Florida. Say what you will about Amtrak but the service was terrific. It reminded me of how much fun it was to fly years and years ago. The Amtrak staff acted if they were really glad I took the train. They extended themselves. The food wasn’t outstanding but it far surpassed anything I’ve had on an airplane for many years.

The next time I go cross country I plan on looking at a train instead of a plane. It would be nice if the AutoTrain went cross country. That would be a treat. Get off for a couple of days and sightsee and then get back on the train and keep on going. If you haven’t tried the AutoTrain or any other train, I would suggest you do. It is far more civilized than a flight and you will be treated as a valued passenger instead of an annoying nuisance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...