Skip to main content

AVG Failure

I have used and recommended AVG Free Home Edition for years. Today I removed it from two more of my computers and will be removing it from all of them. I don’t know if it is some insidious corporate move to get people to change to the paid version of AVG or just an inability to solve their update problem. For over two weeks I have not been able to get my systems to consistently update. Sometimes they update and sometimes they do not. I have seen a lot of comments on the web expressing the same concern. I haven’t heard or seen anything from AVG that has addressed the issue.

Neighing Horse
Since AVG is free it feels somewhat akin to looking the gift horse in the mouth to complain about it but somehow it feels like the other end of the horse. Anti-virus competency is not something most of us are willing to gamble is working. Again, since there has been no communication from AVG, who knows what is going on and how long it will last. In the meantime, I have uninstalled AVG and installed AVAST. I have had it running on one of my computers for two weeks and experienced no difficulties. AVAST has received a lot of compliments on the web and I have not seen any complaints about updating. Rest assured, if I find issues, I will let you know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am also receiving such news about failure of AVG from relatives, Dragon!
Anonymous said…
I have used the AVG Internet Security (now version 7.5) on a three year licence. In April 2007, a virus database update caused my laptop to blue screen repeatedly. Eventually this was fixed by a patch from Grisoft.

I have just had a similar issue after an update of the engine. This time my computer responded in a similar way to the MSBlast.exe worm. A MONTH LATER, I am still waiting for AVG to get back to me. I have since got my computer to respond and checked for the worm (not present). It was only when I uninstalled AVG that my computer returned to normal. Clearly, the problem is with their software, not with my computer.

I've now installed a different brand of security software on all three of my computers. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for AVG to get back to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Samsung FlipShot-ho hum

I just got the Samsung FlipShot aka SCH-U900. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am very family oriented, specifically focused on grandchildren. I frequently lament that I don’t have my camera on me. However, I always have my phone on me. Thusly I wanted a phone with a decent camera. The FlipShot comes close. Samsung claims it is a 3 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. The photos are not what I would consider decent from a digital camera but compared to my last phone/camera, they are much better. The phone has a slot for a micro sd memory card. I popped a 2gb card in there for saving my photos. I have not been able to find a way to default the photos to the memory card. You have to manually move them. I haven’t given up and perhaps in a software upgrade there will be a way to get them to the card without moving them manually. Getting them off of the phone is interesting. If you don’t buy Samsung’s charging/data cable, you can send them to yourself and get them on your pc that way. You ...

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review

Troy-Bilt 2700 PSI 2.3 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Review Item #: 75140 | Model #: 20414 When I started this blog, I assumed I would be only talking tech. Well that led to philosophic musing and then comments on other stuff. I’m not sure where a pressure washer fits but regardless I am writing about it. I was power washing the mildew off the siding and thought the odor was the detergent I was using. When I looked over my shoulder and saw the grey smoke pouring out of the pressure washer, I realized what the odor really was. Considering the age of my venerable electric power washer, I concluded that discretion being the better part of safety and how water and electricity don’t play well, I trashed my old power washer. After much research, I found the Troy-Bilt 20414 was the best bang for the buck I could find. Keep in mind I am a consumer, not some testing house, so I make my purchases based on research and price point. I wanted electric but my boys who participated in the purchase, ...

Arlo Security System by NETGEAR – 6 Wire–Free HD Cameras, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (VMS3630B)

This is an interesting system.  The absolutely wire free aspect is great, particularly if you have a wife is diametrically opposed to visible cables.   The visual aspect of the cameras is great even at night.  The installation or setup was a breeze.   The cameras synced quickly with no issues.   The required an immediate upgrade via download and four of the six cameras did that flawlessly.   The other two took multiple restarts to get the update successfully accepted.   The phone software works well and I was easily able to see the cameras remotely.   So my initial impression is very positive. I did receive this system in exchange for an honest review.   The documentation for this system is abysmal.   There is no identification on the cameras to determine which of Arlo’s cameras they may be.  This makes it difficult to determine what is expected of the camera.   ...